Tuesday 1 November 2016

Upcoming Exhibitions


WAKING DREAMS Gympie Regional Gallery, Queensland Australia, from November 23 to January 2017. A retrospective of illustration work spanning the past 20 years, with a particular focus on picture book illustration. https://www.gympie.qld.gov.au/gallery



THE ARRIVAL (ANKOMSTEN) Havremagasinet, Boden, Sweden. October 29 - January 8, a combination of original pencil drawings and final digitally coloured images which collectively relocate the full story to gallery walls. I was originally approached by the curator with this comment:

'We think it is important to tell this story, given that Boden is a town that has received a large number of refugees during the last years, especially now with many fleeing Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. I think a lot of our visitors will recognize themselves in your story. The story is also important for the Swedish people to understand what these people are going through when they come here.'

http://havremagasinet.se/shaun-tan/ 




Somewhere Nowhere November 19 to February 5, Warrnambool Art Gallery, Warrnambool, Victoria. A varied selection of work ranging from large-scale landscape paintings to small book illustrations, exploring the notions of isolation and displacement in suburbia, and how this might liberate the imagination rather than stifle it.

http://www.thewag.com.au/index.php?q=node/649




EVERY PLACE IS THE SAME PLACE Tinning Street Presents, Ilhan Lane, Brunswick Victoria. November 15 to 21 (one week only). Related to my previous exhibition at Tinning Street, Little Brunswick, this is show will feature 100 small oil paintings produced between 2010 and 2016, all approximately 20 x 15cm, the scale at which I frequently work for landscape studies. These pictures represent subjects from places such as Europe, North and Central America, Asia and Australia (especially Brunswick of course!) most of which have appeared on this blog over the years. Unlike the other exhibitions listed above, this is a commercial exhibition where works are for sale; an online catalogue should be complete by the end of the week and I'll post more about that soon.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Shaun,

    This is very exciting news! I recently completed my honours thesis on Tales from Outer Suburbia, so it will be wonderful to see some of those works at Warrnambool in the flesh.

    Wishing you as much (and more) success with these upcoming exhibitions as last year's incredible show at Tinning Street!

    Best regards,
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that. The Warrnambool show is coming together very well, perhaps the largest exhibitions I've had. Congrats on completing your thesis too, I'm amazed to think that you focused on 'Tales' so particularly, I hope it stands up okay! There's some discussion of developing it as a TV show, so we'll see how that goes.

      Delete
  2. too far from me.. hope to see you in italy...
    my best regards ew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well, you can check out the online catalogue at least. There are quite a few paintings of Italian landscapes; Bologna (the book fair) and Milan (where my sister-in-law and her family live). Fascinated by the light in those places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Aunt lives in Gympie and I went to visit her yesterday. She, my cousin and I decided to spend the afternoon wandering through the art gallery. I was both surprised and delighted to discover that there was an exhibit of a selection of your works there. Thank you for retaining that inner child whose imagination is so vast. And I am very glad that you have talent to capture those moments of imagination so that they can be shared with the rest of us.

    I know this seems to be an excellent example of someone fawning but I'm still immersed in the bliss of Seeing-Shaun-Tan's-Original-Work-Up-Close-And for-Real.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mr. Tan -

    Please allow me to first express my admiration for your work, as it has affected me, as I hope it will affect others. In particular, I am hoping it will affect members of the U.S. government.

    I am planning to launch a Kickstarter campaign to send a copy of The Arrival to every member of the U.S. Congress, as well as to President Trump and his Cabinet. I do not know your personal politics, so I hope this does not upset you.

    In any event, I did want to alert you to this upcoming effort, in case you would like to endorse, participate or disavow. Or simply ignore - please know that I will not be offended in any way. If you are interested in learning more, please email or call me (contact information below).

    Thank you, and best regards,

    Brennan Veys
    brennan [dot] veys [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.